Many people are taking the freelancing route, be it part-time or full-time. This new self-employed lifestyle comes with a lot of benefits. You get to pick your own projects, work according to your own time, work as you travel, and so on.
But at the same time, it demands a lot of discipline. Remember – you don’t have to work for a boss anymore because now, you are your own boss! And so, you will have to start behaving a like a boss, properly managing all the clients.
This means you have to fix deadlines and keep them, organize all your work, invoice your clients, and much more. The biggest challenge is to get clients in the first place. However, if you are using a WordPress website then you can use plugins to help you in all these areas.
As you already know, WordPress houses a diverse array of plugins which brings a diverse collection of features to your website. For the purpose of this read, we will be looking into some of the best plugins that will help you as a freelancer.
So without further ado, let’s get started:
Top WordPress Plugins for Freelancer
The first part of being a freelancer starts with getting clients, and what could be better than getting clients directly from organic web searches. With Yoast SEO, WordPress users have the ability to optimize their site for the search engines.
The Yoast is one of the best SEO WordPress plugins and the most widely used plugin for the WordPress platform.
This will help their names or businesses to pop up on places like Google when a potential client is searching for services you provide.
The plugin comes with a solid toolset of features and functionalities that will make you aware of all SEO problems on your site, and help you fix them. Now, it is worth considering that this is a freemium plugin.
That is to say, you get access to all the basic functionalities for free, however, if you want advanced options, then you will have to go premium.
- Advanced XML sitemap functionalities.
- Full control over site breadcrumbs.
- Title and Meta description templating for better branding.
- SEO analysis of all your content.
- Integrated Google Search Console to see how your site performs on the search engine.
Potential clients are coming to your website in hopes of hiring your service. This is the perfect time to show them what you have to offer. With the uSquare WordPress plugin, you will get a responsive grid layout to showcase important details about your business in an interesting way.
The main use for the plugin is to enrich the aesthetic appeal of your website. Using grids and the popular material design language, the plugin enables you to display your content in a unique and eye-catching manner.
If you function as a team of freelancers, then use the plugin to show-off your team. You can also use it to list all your services, products, designs, blog posts, and even previous work.
- Fully customizable.
- Scrollable content with easing effects.
- Option for social media integration.
- Potentially add an unlimited number of items.
If you are a full-time freelancer with a lot of projects under your belt, then you might be searching for a portfolio plugin with many advanced features. Go Portfolio has you covered in this department. The plugin comes packed with a lot of options and features that will help you showcase your work in the best possible light.
It features a lot of starter templates which you can use to showcase your portfolios. There is also support for images, audio, and video thumbnails, to make your portfolios more enriching and make you feel like a true professional in the field. Customization options are also plentiful to create the perfect portfolios for showing off your work.
- 38 starter portfolio templates.
- Built-in editor to help design new portfolio templates.
- Highly flexible.
- Supports a variety of file types including images, audio, and video.
- WooCommerce support.
DW Questions & Answers Pro
Before finalizing a deal, your potential clients might have some doubts in mind. If you don’t offer a platform to clear those doubts quickly, then you may lose a gig. This is where “DW Questions & Answer Pro” WordPress plugin comes into the picture.
It is one of the best selling discussion plugins for WordPress which will help you connect with the clients currently on your website, and converse with them to clear their doubts. Once installed, it will help integrated a full-featured question and answer section to your website, similar to that which you see with Quora or StackOverflow.
- Dedicated shortcodes to easily display all question to any page on your website.
- Set an “ask question” form on your sidebar.
- Ability to manage questions from the front-end.
- A dedicated voting system.
- Anti-spam by ReCaptcha.
WP Job Manager
With WP Job Manager, you have the option of applying to jobs using your LinkedIn or Indeed accounts, all from the comfort of your WordPress website. It is a great tool for freelancers who are always looking for the next great gig.
Having access to all the cream job hunting portals from a single interface can be helpful no doubt.
You will be able to apply to jobs from your site’s frontend. Of course, you will have to log in with their respective account details. However, all the job feeds will be accessible from a single interface.
- An all in one job manager plugin.
- Ability to apply for LinkedIn and Indeed jobs from your WordPress dashboard.
- Everything can be handled from the front-end.
- Links of all application in admin along with PDF files containing links to LinkedIn and Indeed profiles.
As a freelancer, it is most likely that you will have multiple projects for multiple clients all with their different deadlines. Therefore it is essential to get your priorities set, and follow a strict schedule to get work done on time.
To help you out, you can use Noo Timetable, a responsive calendar and timetable plugin for WordPress.
In a few minutes, you will able to set up your own customized timetable, set with all the custom data that you have entered. All the entries will be laid out in front of you, both in a weekly as well as a monthly view. There are also plenty of other options thrown into the mix that can be helpful to different businesses.
- Responsive design boasting the flat materialistic design language.
- Each schedule element can have a designated color or image.
- Event filtering options along with event pop-ups.
- A lot of customization options to tweak the calendar appearance.
You have completed a project and now it is time to get your hard-earned cash. But not so fast, you will also have to generate an invoice for your client before you get paid. This will come in handy for both legal and accounting purposes. And that is why you need to install and active Quip Invoice plugin for your WordPress website.
The invoice should clearly mention the necessary details about you and your clients, along with the project accomplished and how much it cost. The plugin will help you do all that and much more. It also integrates with payment gateways enabling you to
- Create estimated quotes which can be turned into an invoice with a click.
- Option to send invoices as PDF files.
- Add notes to invoices.
- Save regular clients to know who owes you money.
- Integrated payment gateways.
MailChimp is one of the most well-known email marketing plugins for WordPress. From freelancers to bloggers, and generally, everyone has an online website or blog, has a MailChimp account. It allows you to keep in touch with your site visitors, or in this case, your clients.
For free, the plugin will allow you to keep an emailing list of up to two thousand people. This should be plenty as you will only be using it to create an emailing list for your best clients. You can also set up a sign-up form so that clients will give you their email addresses, so you can get in touch with them later.
- Send stunning newsletters.
- Create good-looking opt-in forms.
- Seamless integration with many popular and commonly used WordPress plugins.
- Option to enhance functionalities by using add-ons.
- Save up to 2,000 email address and send follow up emails for free.
If you have been working in the creative business, then you already know the importance of – copyright. , it is adviced that you use the “Copyright Proof” plugin for WordPress. If you are a freelancer in the field, then it is absolutely necessary for you to copyright your work.
Or else, to your dismay, you will see that your work is getting handed out without your consent.
Furthermore, it need not be pointed out all the benefits you get if you have a copyrighted work. Even if you are work gets distributed, it will bring you more exposure. And on top of everything else, you will not have to worry about any content thieves.
- Creates a digitally signed and time-stamped certificate for WordPress posts.
- Option to insert combined certification of copyright, licensing, and attribute notice.
- Optional anti-theft functionality and records IP addresses of attempted thieves.
Trello is one of the top productivity tools in the market, and this is their dedicated plugin for WordPress websites. It is essentially a collaboration tool, which you can use for project management and communication with your clients. It uses a system of boards, lists and cards to help keep everything organized and presentable.
With the plugin installed, you will be able to display all the data using shortcodes or widgets. However, if you will have to enter the ID of the Trello object you wish to enlist on your site. Luckily, you will get a dedicated API helper to find all the IDs of all the Trello data.
- Easy collaboration with clients.
- Easy project management opportunities.
- Display trello data using shortcode and widgets.
- Comes with a dedicated API helper to find the ID of Trello object you want to list.
So these were our picks for the best freelancing plugins for WordPress. We hope you found this read to be helpful. Don’t forget to share it along with your freelancer friends to help them be more productive.
Also, if you have some or any of the plugins we have mentioned here on the list, then don’t forget to write about your experience in the comments section. Your fellow readers will love to get an insight from you.